Welcome to the BYC Learn to Sail Program
New for 2019!
- Youth Sailing Program
- Back by popular demand we will again be offering a formal Keelboat Camp giving our youth sailors a taste of handling a larger keelboat. This course emphasizes boat handling and teamwork.
- Our Cruising Camp is now offered by age group. We have a Youth Adventure Cruising for youths ages 8-12 years and Teen Adventure Camp for teens aged 13-18 years.
- For more information on our Youth Sailing Program go to our Youth Sailing page
- Adult Keelboat Sailing Lessons
- Also back by popular demand is our formal Learn to Sail class for Adults. Four 4-day evening classes will be offered throughout the summer on Bellingham Bay using our J/24 sailboats as the sailing platform. Classes are taught by U.S. Sailing certified instructors.
- For more information on the Adult Sailing go to our Adult Sailing Course Description page.
Bellingham Yacht Club is pleased to announce a that we have added Adult Keelboat sailing lessons for students 18 years and older! The Adult Learn to Sail class compliments our Youth Sailing Program which includes Beginner through Advanced Learn to Sail classes as well as a Keelboat Class, a Youth Adventure Cruising class for youth sailors of ages 8-12 years and a Teen Adventure Cruising class for teens of ages 13-18 years. Students have the opportunity to learn sailing on Bellingham Bay from U.S. Sailing certified instructors. Membership in the BYC is not required to participate in the BYC’s sailing classes, but we do offer members a discount on all classes.
Our Youth Sailing Program is very active and includes summer sailing and racing classes taught by US Sailing certified instructors, weekly dinghy racing, a Youth Club which sponsors many social activities and a youth fun room with a pool table, ping pong table, electric darts, air hockey table and a Foosball table. For youths interested in racing at the high school level, BYC is the primary sponsor of the Whatcom Community High School Sailing Team formed in 2008.
Adults that want to pursue racing are encouraged to join racing club members as crew or bring your own boat out to race. Wednesday night racing is offered throughout the spring and summer months along with various long distance races and regattas scattered throughout the spring, summer and fall seasons.